There are other pumpkin yummies to consider besides pumpkin smoothies and pumpkin hot chocolate, of course. My favorite pumpkin soup recipe comes from the Baird House cookbook which is pretty basic except that she includes lime juice, which gives the soup an extra kick. You can make it with coconut or cashew/almond milk if you’re avoiding dairy and I add a little cayenne to mine. Macheesmo gave us a recipe for pumpkin melted cheese sandwiches this year which were so unbelievably…so…incredibly…I don’t even have words! Just try making some and you won’t be sorry.
Today, though, we tried a new recipe for us – pumpkin smoothie! I found several good recipe ideas but eventually just went and made my own, using the ideas as a guideline.
- 2 cups milk - dairy, coconut, nut - I used coconut milk.
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup pineapple with juice
- 1 tsp each cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/2 cup apple or pear sauce, optional
- Handful of ice cubes
- Put all ingredients in blender and mix at high speed until smooth.
- You may decide you want more pineapple.
Incidentally, this mixture is extra decadent when added to:
Homemade Hot Chocolate
- 1 1/2 cup chamomile tea
- 2 cup canned, full fat coconut milk or fresh coconut milk or whole, raw milk
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 4 Tsp fair trade cocoa
- Raw honey to sweeten to taste
- Dash of sea salt
- Dash of vanilla
- Put the above ingredients into a sauce pot and warm over medium heat.
- Be sure to whisk in the cocoa well to break up the bits.
- To use up any leftover pumpkin smoothie, simple add about a cup to the hot chocolate mixture and stir to warm.
- If you don't have pumpkin smoothie on hand, you can also add 1/4 cup pumpkin puree and 1 tsp pumpkin spice to achieve about the same result.
Make sure you add homemade marshmallows – I promise they’re not as intimidating as they sound.
There you go, pumpkin hot chocolate and pumpkin smoothie!
What is your favorite pumpkin dish – please, please share!
**This post can also be viewed at Homestead Abundance, Simple Lives Thursday, Growing Home Blog, Fat Tuesday, Tuesdays with a Twist, Tasty Traditions, Thank your body, Homeacre hop, Frugally Sustainable, Natural Living, From the Farm hop, Natural Family Friday, Old Fashioned Friday, The Homestead Barn Hop, Homemade Monday, Motivation Monday, Natural Living Monday, The Gathering Spot, Wellness Wednesday, The Backyard Farming Connection, Teach Me Tuesday, Wildcrafting Wednesday, Homemaking link Up, Green Thumb Thursday, Tasty Traditions, Real Food Friday, Thank Your Body Thursday, Simple Meals Friday, Simply Natural Saturdays, The Art of Homemaking Monday, The Homestead Blog Hop